Re: SQL PLUS connect problem

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 06:34:53 +0200

"frank" <frankw_at_qd.lucent.com> wrote in message news:9meon0$5sb_at_nntpb.cb.lucent.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am using Oracle8.1.6. when I try to connect Oracle with SQL Plus with
> "sys/myPassword", I got "Oracle Initialization or Shut down in progress",
> but if I connect with "sys/myPassword as sysdba" then no problem.
> Please tell me the reason?
>
> Thanks
> Frank

Someone initiated a shutdown on that database,which didn't complete (yet). Using sysdba privilege will always get you in. You need to check what happened in the alert log, and/or issue a shutdown abort, followed by a startup connected as sysdba.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Mon Aug 27 2001 - 23:34:53 CDT