Re: Hotbackup without a standby?

From: Gary Gapinski <glg_at_apk.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:00:19 -0400

Galen Boyer wrote:

> Yes. I was having an argument with a guy, and he was adamant
> that archive logging without a standby database was useless. I
> said one still has backed up the database to the last committed
> transaction. His point was more that without a standby, all of
> the data was useless. I was sort of, yeah, I guess it would be
> best to have standby, but having saved your database up until the
> last committed transaction was the more important accomplishment.
> Getting the instance up and running again was much less the
> problem.
>
> I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy. I was discussing this
> with a guy who was interviewing me, and I basically backed down
> at the end. The recruitment agency said I won't be called back
> for a second interview and I bet its because I failed that
> question, in his eyes. Hell, it wasn't even for a DBA job, but
> instead a PL/SQL developer and DB design job.
>
> Just as a rant, he also started the interview focusing on the
> fact that I had been 9+ years in consulting and therefore didn't
> know what it was like to work in a "fulltime" position. After
> that nice little introduction, I almost told him that I didn't
> think we would be making any kind of connection and lets not
> waste each other's time.

Sometimes it's best to pass on such things.

His adamantine stance probably extends to such esoterica as the *true* meaning of NULLs - think on how pleasant "full-time" life might be like with such a debating opponent.

It appears you're no crazier than the rest of us, and saner than at least one. Received on Mon Aug 27 2001 - 21:00:19 CDT