Re: Problems going from US7ASCII to WE8ISO8859P1

From: Allen <allenh_at_starbase.neosoft.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2001 20:41:12 -0500

>I changed the character set of our production database from US7ASCII to
>WE8ISO8859P1. Now the "cent" symbol looks like a quotation mark. I
>thought WE8ISO8859P1 was a superset of US7ASCII and this wouldn't cause
>any problems. Now I'm worried that I can't go back to subset after using
>the superset character set. Anyone know anything about this? The data is
>stored in CLOB columns. Is there an easy way to update my CLOB data to
>replace the old cent character with the new one? Any other conversions I
>need to be aware of?

Me again. Heres the latest.

Even though we were using US7ASCII (a 7 bit char set) before, apparently some character stored in LONG columns were > 128 ascii.. ie, 162 = the cent symbol. When I imported this data into a new WE8ISO8859P1 database, oracle decided to "trunc" the characters > 128 by subtracing 128 from them. The end result was the cent symbol (162) ended up being the " symbol (34).

Why did this happen and how should I have prevented it? 162 with the WE8ISO8859P1 char set worked as a cent symbol, I just wish the original 162's had stayed 162. This has been a MAJOR pain in the ass.

thx.. allen Received on Mon Aug 27 2001 - 20:41:12 CDT