Storing BLOBS, one file or many?

From: Jim Poe <jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com>
Date: 28 Aug 2001 00:07:33 GMT

We have a number of blob fields to store Word documents. Logically, these documents are related to multiple tables as a one to many, i.e., QUOTE -> QUOTE_DOC, POLICY -> POLICY_DOC, CLAIM -> CLAIM_DOC. We could design the storage using multiple related tables, QUOTE_DOC, POLICY_DOC, and CLAIM_DOC. Or, we could store all the documents in one table, DOC, with appropriate keys to the multiple 'master' tables. Is there a performance advantage in using either design? The QUOTE_DOC column/table would comprise about 2/3 of all the documents.

Thanks

--
Jim Poe (jpoe_at_fulcrumit.com)