Re: Hotbackup without a standby?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:01:25 +1000

Presumably you have off-box, if not off-site, backups of your datafiles and controlfiles?

A quick bit of shell scripting (or batch file editing) and you can easily arrange for off-box (or off-site) backups of your archivelogs.

Put the two together, and you have a very recoverable database, regardless of what happens to the host box. If disaster strikes, you've probably lost the current redo... but even with Standby Database that's probably true, since there's no archive of the current log.

Archivelogs are the only thing standing between you and major data loss. They are, in that respect, extremely useful. I'd hazard a guess and say that 90+% of all production databases run in archivelog mode. Of those, maybe 20% at best have standby's.

Regards