Re: Buffer Hit Ratio

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2001 06:49:30 -0700

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<u4rqurm04.fsf_at_verizon.net>...
> On 26 Aug 2001, jones1ai14_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Since our users access so much different historical data so
> > often, might it be reasonable to see the buffer hit ratio so
> > low?
>
> Yes. You answered your own your question. Each user going after
> different large data sets.

The buffer hit ratio dropping to 5% could be a sign of full table scan being used to retrieve data. Also the use of the PQO would make use of full scans and could drive the hit ratio down.

Also from Oracle note Doc ID: Note:33883.1 Comments:
- This should generally be >80%
  There is probably still scope for tuning if it is <90% *BUT*   note that the hit ratio is not the best measure of performance.

I have compared the formulas adjusting for direct reads with the standard formula which appeared in this thread and I have only noticed a 1 or 2 percentage point change for systems not using PQO. I have not been able to test to see how the use of PQO, which uses direct reads, affects the ratio. If PQO is in use on your system you may want to perform the deduction and recalculate your hit ratio to see if it looks any different.