Re: cygwin, perl, and python, which is the most popular scripting language?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2001 23:36:10 -0500

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, joelmeNIX_at_homeNIX.com wrote:

> The shells are more for sysadmin work

Yes. I would agree that shells are mostly for this type of work.

> and relatively simple programs.

Hey now. I've written some pretty sophisticated Korn shell programs. Granted, they weren't browser compatible or any of that other stuff that might make its way into defining how good a program is, but I was able to code some pretty dynamic stuff with it. Perl's power is that it has sed, awk and friends all built in (and I would guess Python has the same), where KSH has to make a call to these guys, so forget about performance of the program, but the sophistication of what's being accomplished can still be pretty high.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.