Re: temp tablespace

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2001 23:25:20 -0500

On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, claydavidson_at_earthlink.nospam.net wrote:

>> Does a temporary tablespace need to be setup to allow logging?

If you are asking, "Does the temp tablespace need to have the logging options mentioned for creation", no.

Though, I'm guessing you want to know about the logging aspects of temporary tablespaces.

Temp tablespaces are only set up for sort segments on queries. http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a76965/c03space.htm#5902

>> I know that redo information will be lost and it will be
>> unrecoverable in case of failure, but why would you care with
>> temp area???

There isn't really a "temporary area" in Oracle like there is in Sybase or SQLServer. In those dbms you have the #temp idea. Oracle doesn't know that. You use real tables and then delete them afterwards.

>> Why would you want to log the temp tablespace?

You don't.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.