Buffer Hit Ratio

From: Marty Jones <jones1ai14_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Aug 2001 19:33:47 -0700

We are running Oracle 8i and have seen the buffer hit ratio as low as 5% on occasion, around 50% many times, and above 95% during times of little activity.

Our database contains a substantial amount of historical data which continues to grow and is accessed almost as much as new data.

Since our users access so much different historical data so often, might it be reasonable to see the buffer hit ratio so low?

I know I haven't supplied many statistics or the configuration of our server... this is just a general question. Received on Sun Aug 26 2001 - 21:33:47 CDT