Re: rollback datafile move

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 05:55:12 +1000

Not sure what you mean by a 'rollback datafile', but if you mean 'How does one go about moving the datafile(s) associated with the rollback segment tablespace?", then the answer is 'in exactly the same way as you'd go about moving any other datafiles'.

Which translates to: take the tablespace offline, physically move the file(s) using O/S commands, issue an 'alter tablespace RBS rename file 'X' to 'Y' and then online the tablespace.

Of course, if this is your ONLY RBS tablespace, then you are going to have a hard time supporting DML on any part of the database whilst the tablespace is offline -so you might simply prefer, in that case, to shutdown, mount, move file(s), issue an 'alter database rename file 'X' to 'Y' and follow with an alter database open.

You may also have trouble offlining the tablespace (if that's the method you choose), if it contains active transactions -in which case, you'll have to offline all the rollback segments individually, and then search v$rollstat for those whose status is actually 'PENDING OFFLINE', followed by a trawl through v$transaction to find out who is using those segments. If they don't end their own transactions in reasonable time, there is always 'alter system kill session 'sid, serial#' -and those two parameters are taken directly from v$transaction.

Regards