Re: cygwin, perl, and python, which is the most popular scripting language?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:37:28 +0200

"Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:i8bhotgmid3crbn8522u2aibl6479rcc4p_at_4ax.com...
> Dear all,
>
> In the process of finding scripting languages for Microsoft Windows
> platforms, cygwin, perl, and python seem to have the most supporters.
> They are also open source software, free of charge, and they also
> cover both Unix and Windows platforms. Microsoft's own scripting
> language, namely VBS, is seldom used, though. Now we can narrow down
> to the comparison: cygwin, perl, and python, which is the most
> popular? You might have your favourate language for both Unix and
> Windows, or you might have one favourate for Unix and one favourate
> for Windows, it's up to you. Statement your reason for your choices.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dino

For me the *only* reason to use languages like perl and python, is cross-platform compatibility.
On Unix the default Korn Shell definitely will do, no need to use something else
On Windows good old plain bat or vbs will do. So if I would replace Korn Shell by something else I would choose something that can be used on Windoze.
Using one favorite on Unix and another favourite on Windoze doesn't make sense.
Choosing one scripting language will standardize and cut back costs.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sun Aug 26 2001 - 03:37:28 CDT