Re: W2K Oracle Server hard drive setup

From: Scott Watson <swatson_at_datachest.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:28:04 -0400

If you loose your page file your system would no longer function properly. I am not certain but even if you have too much memory and you loose your page file, I would guess that windows would shut things down in a nice orderly fashion. (Someone what to try deleting the pagefile while their system is running and post the resutls.)

Without knowing what you are trying to do I would answer the following to your question about configuration
Raid-5 is it the best for a database? No Will it do? Yes
Can you get better perfomance? Yes Raid 1/0 (more disks)

However, in your case Raid-5 may be totally suitable depending on what your DB is going to be used for.
As a first step I would try and trade the 3 big disks for 5 smaller ones (or buy 2 more of the same size and use a raid 5 across all of them).

You should pick up Joanthan Lewis's book he has an excellent discussion of Raid and it's benefits. It may be the best 60 bucks you have spent in a long time (60 Canadian eh!)

My 2cents.
Scott Watson.