Re: Help!!!!

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:30:54 +0100

Hi

Is it paging ?, try looking with vmstat 1 10 and see if there is any real paging going on. Check /etc/system and see if the parameter priority_paging is set. It should be set to 1. If its not set then the kernel grabs all free memory up to the low water mark. This then causes the SGA to start paging out to disk, and slows Oracle.

There is a parameter in the init.ora LOCK_SGA but this does not work on solaris( at least we couldnt get it to ). There is another way tho. write a simple C program that locks shared memory into core. look in the man pages, its very simple, i dont have access at thge moment to any C books or solaris. Then get the shared mem segments with ipcs -m at the unix prompt and lock the oracle ones.

I have had great success with this in the past

cheers

Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <9m2i23$n62_at_nntpa.cb.lucent.com>, Al <Al_at_yahoo.com> writes

--
Pete Finnigan
IT Security Consultant

Office  01565 830 990