Re: RAID5 - ORACLE

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:05:25 +0100

Same deal

Databases like plenty of fast vloumes. This means raid 10 for reliability and speed is Nirvana.

However oracle will work with a raid 5 array (just as I'm sure Informix will).

If you absolutely have to compromise then allocate raid 10 volumes to the redo (and archive) logs and the OS and raid5 to datafiles.

It is also worth noting that the MS recommendation for SQL*Server is also raid10 and for exactly the same reasons.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
<212.253.3.43 [hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com]> wrote in message

> Hi Oracle gurus,
>
> I have a question about Raid systems. I am an Informix dba and due to some
reasons ý dont use raid5
> with database server. Currently i am inside a project with oracle and the
customer wants to use Raid5 .
> The os is nt. I wonder whether this is a good thing or not. Based on my
previous experiences with Informix , i
> am strongly against using Raid5 but i dont know the situation with
Oracle.