Re: muliple instances on one database?

From: James B <james_c_ball_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Aug 2001 07:15:17 -0700

Robert Fazio <dbabob_at_yahoo.nospam.com> wrote in message news:<Xns910746AD262E6dbabobyahoocom_at_24.12.106.199>...
> Sig Dock <sigdock_at_MailAndNews.com> wrote in
>
> > Christophe,
> >
> > thanks for your reply, especially the use of the Veritas Cluster Server
> > is interesting since we are already using vxfs on the Sun boxes. I just
> > wonder how to deal with that second instance on teh second box. Do I
> > use a copy of the init.ora from the original box and how do I create
> > the second instance?
> >
> > tia,
> > Bert Jan Meinders
> > Oracle DBA
>
> Place everything that would be necessary on the other system in a volume
> group. When the system fails, the other system take over that volume group.
> You just need to place in the failover scripts what to do when the volume
> group moves. Such as starting the db/listener etc.

I'm doing this at the moment too. I spoke to the veritas guy yesterday and we can go for failover or OPS:

Failover: Where the cluster software controls machine access to the disk (so that only one oracle instance runs at once) If one database server fails then the cluster acknowledges that it has lost a node and starts a new oracle instance on the second database server - as far as Oracle is concerned it is just a normal crash recovery.

OPS: Two Oracle instances access the same Oracle Home but with some added components (split bdump/udump/cdump and a shared init.ora as well as an instance specific init.ora)

So I guess your choice is dictated by the downtime you allow - if you go with failover then you always suffer a downtime before the second instance recovers - if you go with OPS there is no downtime but you double the license fee!

Hope this helps

James Received on Fri Aug 24 2001 - 09:15:17 CDT