Re: Database character set change

From: Anatoly Moskovsky <avm_at_trais.com.ua>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 14:27:07 +0300

Hi!

 P> Is it possible to change NLS_CHARACTERSET from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8
 P> or
 P> EL8ISO8859P7, in order to achieve database cooperation with clients
 P> (like SQL *Plus,  web based applications , etc), which have
 P> EL8ISO8859P7 charset, without  having to rebuild the database from
 P> scratch?
 P> (Oracle 8.1.5, win2000)

Yes, it is possible. However it is not documented and I don't know if it work with 8.1.5

And you'll have to reload rows for the tables that have text with characters not from
WE8ISO8859P1 (non-english).

Better to do it with a test server first:
- disconnect all users

Bye

Anatoly Moskovsky, Oracle Developer avm_at_sqlbatch.com [SQL Batch/Oracle, DBA tools, reverse engineering, scripting extensions]: http://sqlbatch.com/sb/ Received on Fri Aug 24 2001 - 06:27:07 CDT