Re: Oracle --> MS Access Example

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:12:26 +0200

"Tarik" <tarik_sadat_at_amat.com> wrote in message

> Can anybody provide me with an example of how to get a database link
> going from an Oracle 8.1.6 database to MS Access (V7 or higher)?

An example? Nope! Forget it!

Not because I'm particularly crankier than usualy, or ran out of coffee, but it is simply not possible. :-)

> I only need read access to the Access database from Oracle, so I'm not
> interested in transactions etc.

Transactions are not the issue.. the idea of using an Oracle client to connect to an Oracle database system in order to read data from a MS Access filebase.. it is like telling the US president that he has to fit in with your schedule for an appointment. :-)

> I have studied the Heterogeneous Services part of the manual, but it's
> not very helpful.

No, as this only provides distributed access to other Oracle databases, or Oracle gateways for other full blown database systems like Informix and SQL-Server.

Simply migrate the Access database to Oracle. It is the simplest solution. Oracle provides migration tools for getting an Access database into Oracle.

--
Billy