Mail to Dusan Bolek

From: Samuel Tran <stran_at_immostreet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:45:08 GMT

Hello Dusan,

Thank you for your answer to my post in comp.database.oracle.server.

Please may I ask you a few questions about Oracle file placement as you are a real Oracle GURU ?

If you have to build a new Oracle 8i server, what would be exactly the hardware specifications of your machine (number of disks, RAID 1, 5 or 10, ... ?) and what would be your file placement ?

You said that RAID 5 is not a good choice because of slow performance. Actually RAID 5 is slow for write access. Yet some people recommend it for database installation ...

I guess RAID 10 is better but more expensive.

Please give me some hints in a few words.

I would appreciate your help.

Many thanks.

Best Regards.

Sam

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> "Richard Armstrong" <richard.armstrong_at_juno.demon.co.uk> wrote in
message news:<995625917.24519.0.nnrp-07.9e9809ca_at_news.demon.co.uk>...
> > Doesn't the RAID array make your 36G disks look like one big disk?
You
> > could just put all of your data files on the RAID array. It might
be worth
> > duplicating the database control file on the RAID array and on the
9G disk.

> > Good luck,
> >
> > Richard
> >
> > Samuel Tran <stran_at_immostreet.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello DBAs,
> > >
> > > I'm planning to install Oracle 8.1.7 on a Linux Debian Potato.
> > >
> > > I have a 9 GB disk and a set of RAID5 disks (4x36 GB).
> > >
> > > What could be the most appropriate Oracle file placement for this
disk
> > > layout ?
> > >
> > > Should I spread a tablespace on several datafile on several
partitions ?

> > > You may spread an Oracle datafile accross multiple locations.
However I