Re: Help with UTL_TCP

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:52:22 +0200

"Thomas Kyte" <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com> wrote

> >I wish to do FTP/ Telnet using UTL_TCP. Did anyone try this before? If so,
> >can you pl. give me some examples.
>
> While technically possible, it would not be practical to do that. I've never
> implemented the FTP protocol but I have an inkling that it would take more
then
> an afternoon.

Agree. FTP is no trivial matter, unless you rather choose to implement Trivial FTP :-)
(see the RFC's for the protocol definition of trivial ftp).

The question I have though is why would you want to implement FTP as a database service? I can see some possibilities (e.g. FTP'ing LOBs), but from an architectural point of view, networking services do _NOT_ IMO belong in a database.

--
Billy