Row and Table Locking

From: Nadeem Kafi <kafis_at_super.net.pk>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 21:16:55 -0700

Hello All,

I want to confirm that there is no need to explicitely lock tables and rows during updates and deletes after the row level lock provided by Oracle after Version 6. i.e.

Before each update/delete to a row in a table there is no need to lock the row. Oracle will do it automatically.

One of my inherited application contains PL/SQL code which lock tables in share update mode (or using select...for update nowait) before every update and delete. Now using Oracle 8.1.6, I feel there is no need. BTW, there are no explicity application specific locking requirements.

Best Regards,
Nadeem Kafi. Received on Thu Aug 23 2001 - 23:16:55 CDT