Re: How insert new field in between?

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 10:32:02 -0700

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<u7kvuhepu.fsf_at_verizon.net>...
> On 23 Aug 2001, danielcloutier_at_web.de wrote:
>
> > I have quite a problem with one of my tables in my Oracle db. I
> > wanted to insert a new field into my table using the ALTER sql
> > command. Now, this command appends the desired field at the end
> > of the table.
>
> So, when you do a "desc table" you see the new column?
>
> > The last field in this table is of type LONG and somehow, I
> > cannot acces the appended field(VARCHAR2(1).
>
> First, why did you use varchar2 for a single character length
> field? char(1).
>
> Second, if you do "select new_column from table" do you get an
> error or to you get no data?

There is no reason not to use varchar2(1) instead of char(1). Oracle support had a recent thread where they stated both columns will require the same amount of internal storage.

Also see the Common FAQ
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html select DBA then read
"Why should I use varchar2 instead of char types ? "