Re: 8.1.6 on windows 2000, no odbc?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 06:39:06 -0700

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:<9lviae$qh7$1_at_ctb-nnrp1.saix.net>...

> c) Inconsistency. Not all ODBC are created equal.

Yes this can be a serious trouble. I had one issue with ODBC and Oracle. I got an Oracle driver from some company (I can't remember name right now), which worked only with some Oracle client version, I had to test several couples of ORA client - ODBC versions to select ones that can run together. It was like an ODBC - ORACLE acquaint office. :-)

And perfomance can also be a problem. The best position to be in is when users/managers complain that your database is poorly managed, because their responses are too slow, but you know that database is OK and problem is within application or ODBC. It is obvious that application vendor told them that application is unbelievable quick ("we're using the most recent programming tool, Visual Basic 6!"), just your database is slow (we can give you a incredible offer for the best database, MS SQL 7!"). :-(

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader