Re: Copying a DB from NT to Linux occurs a ORA-01516

From: Stephen T. Parfitt <steve.parfitt_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 21:24:03 -0400

I may not be 100% correct about this, but as far as I can think Oracle does NOT use a 'native' internal representation for data.

Instead, it uses its own 'proprietary' internal representation. E.g. take a look at Oracle's way of storing numbers - it's like nothing else on this planet! It's certainly QUITE different from any native hardware scheme for numbers that I have ever seen.

Conclusion: Oracle converts from its own storage scheme to the 'native' hardware/operating system scheme at some point. This makes me think that there's at least a possibility that the Linux and NT databases are cross-compatible. But it may be wishful thinking!

Steve Parfitt