Re: muliple instances on one database?

From: Hieraklion <hieraklion_at_spray.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:46:32 +0200

"Bonjour" from Paris

Three solutions :

A / Use Oracle Parallel Server (OPS). You can have several instances (one instance per host) using the same database at the same moment Advantage :
If a host comes down, the opened connections are not lost, all the transactions migre on the another instance.
Disavantages :
A particular license to use OPS.
Sun aggreement for your cluster ... they validate your cluster. Hard to administrative ?

B/ Use a mecanisme like Veritas Cluster Server (VCS). Several instances can use the same database but not at the same moment. Only one instance is active at a given time.
If the host on which the instance runs comes down, the cluster software migrates all the necessary resources to come up the second oinstance (on the same disks).

Avantages:
Can be done with the standard license of oracle. Buy a cluster software but you can use it for several cluster groups. Disavantages : Opened connections are lost during the failover and no committed transactions are rollbacked.

C/ Replication databae but you need like Stand-by database new disks for the second database.

"Au revoir" from Paris
Christophe Brault