Re: E-R diagramming tool for Linux?

From: David Fetter <shackle_at_fetter.org>
Date: 22 Aug 2001 21:03:54 GMT

Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch_at_adelphia.net> wrote: > On 9 Aug 2001 08:35:53 GMT, David Fetter <shackle_at_fetter.org> wrote:
>>Kind people,

>>I'd like to be able to make E-R diagrams from an Oracle instance via
>>Linux. I've tried GraphVis::DBI, but it doesn't seem to work on
>>Oracle, and the E-R diagrams it produces aren't the greatest anyway.

>>Is there anything out there, free by preference, commercial
>>otherwise?

> I've found 'dia' to be very useful for ER diagrams.  It's part of
> the Gnome desktop environment, but will run fine under fvwm, kde, or
> whatever.  There's even work-in-progress on a DDL generator which
> will create executable SQL from an ER schema.

I like dia, too, but it can't reach into a DB (or a DDL file) and produce and E-R diagram the way VisioPro or ErWin can. Any candidates in that arena?

Cheers,

David Fetter david@fetter.org http://fetter.org/~shackle/
phone +1 415 567 2690  fax: +1 415 567 2340

I are sigfile disease!!
All your quote are belong to us.
Copy us every "sig"!