Re: muliple instances on one database?

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:48:52 -0700

Bert

The only way two have two instances accessing a single database is to use Parallel Server (in 8.1, RAC in 9i) running on a hardware cluster. If you don't have the hardware cluster, you need to look at ways of cloning the database, including standby or replication.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA

"Sig Dock" <sigdock_at_MailAndNews.com> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> On the site where I'm working right now we have a Sun Fire 280 server with
> Symmetrix EMC disk cabinet. I have configured my (Oracle 8.1.6.) database
so
> it will put all the datafiles (including system, redolog and controlfiles)
> on
> the Symmetrix.
> To create a failover-mechanism I want a second instance on another Sun
Fire