Re: copy Oracle *.dbf file from one OS to another

From: Vincent CASBAS <vincent.casbas_at_tlse.altior.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 19:59:13 +0200

Vincent Ventrone wrote:

> > do this from Digital box to another Digital box. But would like to know if
> > it can be done to another OS platform. If not why ? maybe some one can
> > explain ?
>
> No - not possible because the file formats, instruction set, etc. differ.
> You need to create a new, empty database on the target platform & do a full
> db export/import to move the contents.

I think now it is possible with Oracle transportable tablespaces. You can write a tablespace (one or more files) to a CD and then send it by mail to another server.

Regards

 Vincent CASBAS             vincent.casbas_at_tlse.altior.fr
+33-(0)562249936
                  Consultant  SGBD/R Oracle
                 ALTIOR conseil & ingénierie