Re: shutdown immediate or abort for cold-backup?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:06:41 GMT

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Hemant K Chitale wrote:

> You would need to do a RECOVER database
> after a SHUTDOWN ABORT if ...
> you were running an Online Backup and one
> more tablespaces were in BEGIN BACKUP mode
> when the database was shutdown.
>
> You do NOT need to restore datafiles. Most times,
> the recovery should go through from the online redo logs
> unless there has been a lot of activity on the tablespaces
> in backup mode and the activity has already been archived
> out.

Well, this is a trivial case addressed by Couchman on page 741 of the 8i OCP text.

I was looking for cases of the aforementioned checkpoint synchronization problem.

Thanks for your input, though.

   / Charles J. Fisher              | "A fanatic is one who can't change his /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            |  mind and won't change the subject."  /
 /   http://rhadmin.org             |                 -- Winston Churchill /