muliple instances on one database?

From: Sig Dock <sigdock_at_MailAndNews.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 06:44:57 -0400

Hi all,

On the site where I'm working right now we have a Sun Fire 280 server with a Symmetrix EMC disk cabinet. I have configured my (Oracle 8.1.6.) database so it will put all the datafiles (including system, redolog and controlfiles) on
the Symmetrix.
To create a failover-mechanism I want a second instance on another Sun Fire 280, connected to the disk cabinet, to use this. Is this possible and how do I
create this 'standby' instance? I don't want to use the Oracle standby-database because that will need al ot more diskspace and it needs more
time to recover.

rdbms is Oracle 8.1.6.0.0
OS is Solaris 2.8

Regards,
Bert Jan Meinders
Oracle DBA Received on Wed Aug 22 2001 - 05:44:57 CDT