Re: How to find the 10 worst performing SQL statements?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 08:15:54 +0200

"Andy" <enzoweb_at_hotmail.com> wrote in

> I have been asked to find out the 10 worst performing SQL statements
> on a V816 database on Solaris.

<snipped>
> Also, what should I look for - elapsed time, CPU time, or I/O?

Sheez, you are MISSING the point of what it means to be a DBA Andy!/ Come on! Do you think looking at elapsed times, CPU time, i/o stats, whatever, will give you peace of mind in the work place? NO!

You identify the developers you do not like. The ones that are always bitching. The ones who think they know better than you. The ones who runs to the project manager when you have an accidental coffee spill on your keyboard, which when you try to clean it with a cloth, caused the keyboard to type an ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION and accidentally killed their job that has been running for 40 hours and were just minutes away from completing.

Once you have identified _THEM_, it is very easy to identify the 10 worth performing SQL statements. Loads of fun too. Believe me.

--
Billy

Author of
The Oracle DBA from Hell