Re: Parallel Server and Parallel Query Processing

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:23:43 -0700

Nope. Parallel Server allows you to take advantage of a multi=node cluster for availability and performance. Parallel Query allows you to break a select statement or DML statements into multiple smaller chunks and have PQ slaves execute those smaller chunks on separate CPU's in a single box. If you have both you can split the DML across multiple nodes for even further performance improvement, but it's not needed.

--
HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete
Author of "Oracle8i: Architecture and Administration Exam Cram"
Now got a life back again that the book is released!

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA