Re: shutdown immediate or abort for cold-backup?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:20:01 GMT

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Randy wrote:

> I guess I would have less concern about shutdown abort if it forced the
> checkpoint immediately before aborting the instance.

Jason Couchman's 8i OCP text says the following on page 669:

"When the database starts, all checkpoint sequence numbers in all datafiles, redo log files, and control files must match. If they do not, Oracle will not start, and you must perform media recovery on your database to get the files synchronized and in a consistent state."

HJR says this is total horse-hockey and I should ignore it, but it implies that an abort during a checkpoint trashes the database.

Bearing this in mind, HAS ANYBODY EVER BEEN FORCED INTO MEDIA RECOVERY BECAUSE OF A SHUTDOWN ABORT? And, more importantly, DID THIS RECOVERY REQUIRE ANYTHING MORE THAN "RECOVER AUTOMATIC DATABASE" (IE, RESTORING OLD DATAFILES FROM A BACKUP)? Let's face it, folks, Oracle backups are a black art. What is stated in the books is nothing like what happens in the real world (and please don't get me started on this). While a lot of self-appointed "experts" will offer "authoritative" advice, the best work that happens in this group is trial and error, and the report of the findings.

While Oracle remains closed-source, this is the best we can do.

  |   Boo, Forever                                                            |
  |   Spinning like a ghost on the bottom of a top,                           |
  |   I'm haunted by all the space that I will live                           |
  |     without you.                                                          |
  |      -Richard Brautigan.                                                  |
 / Charles J. Fisher | cfisher@rhadmin.org | http://rhadmin.org /