Oracle Past and Present...

From: Scott Watson <swatson_at_datachest.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:54:14 -0400

A couple of years ago when someone mentioned Oracle you immediately thought of the database or at least I did. Today, Oracle means much more, but are people using the extensions provided by Oracle?

Recently, I have been spending some time reading the Oracle documentation and investigation how the database has evolved to include java, web connectivity via mod_pl/sql, mod_ose (servlet and JSP), support for EJBs and all kinds of other goodies. However to keep up with the market it would seem like shooting yourself in the foot to use all these features as you constantly need to upgrade your database when a newer specification is released for EJB or the like.

Are Oracle DBAs really pushing the use of these new tools/utilities and if so are you or some other administrator supporting them? Personally, I believe Oracle should stick with making their database product solid. I think if they were to concentrate on just the database we wouldn't have so many TARs opened for things that worked in one version but no longer work in a **newer** version. For example, adding a servlet engine inside the database in my opinion just blurs the lines as to where the problem may be. Now when someone complains of a performance problem it is certainly the database but where? If I want a servlet engine why not use a product tailored to that task instead of 1 product that can do it all making it harder to support. To me it feels like the Oracle server is growing at a rate similar to what MS Word grew. (200+ features when only 10% of them were used). Guessing of course!!!

Remember we moved away from monolithic programs to n-tier because it was supposed to be better, but to me it seems that Oracle is going back in time with its new direction of using the database for everything. I understand that a company needs to grow but, I think they are sacrificing their DB product at the cost of delivering a total solution.

Anyway, I would just like to get some comments on how others feel and to find out if I am alone with the world to come/if not already arrived!!!

Thanks,
Scott Watson.
Oracle DBA. Received on Tue Aug 21 2001 - 10:54:14 CDT