Re: What is an overflow segment?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 15:52:10 +0100

You need the book !

An IOT is basically a primary key index, with all the extra columns attached to the index entry. But this means that your index entries could get very large.

If your rows are large (which means defined as being able to exceed 50 percent of a block), then Oracle insists that you specify an overflow data segment for the excess columns. In effect the IOT turns back into a table (overflow) with a primary key index - but with some of the table columns stored in the index.

It would appear that Axapta has a table defined as an IOT, without making any allowance for an Overflow. Presumably they installed it once on their test systems, but you can't because your block size is smaller than their original block size.

In the simplest case, you could probably get away with simply add the key word OVERFLOW to the CREATE TABLE statement.

--
Jonathan Lewis

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/book_rev.html

For latest news of public appearances
See http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Screen saver or Life saver: http://www.ud.com
Use spare CPU to assist in cancer research.