Re: I moved ORACLE_HOME, now PMON won't start

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:23:01 +0100

Hi

Since Oracle 8 when you move Oracle home you also have to fix the oInstall database or whatever its called. I moved an Oracle home on an E4500 about six months ago and got a similar error. The way we solved it was to run a find command from the root of the oracle install and grep for the original ORACLE_HOME. We found a few instances, but ours was complicated by the fact that we also moved the ORACLE_HOME for reports and oracle applications. When we had finished it still did not work. We raised a tar with oracle who informed us we had to re-install oracle binaries... hmmm... so we trolled thro metalink and found an article about moving ORACLE_HOME. I dont still have it, but it was easy to find if you get on metalink.

We had to create a symbolic link to the old oracle home and then run "relink all" and then remove the link. This then fixed it. I am not sure about all the editing we did before this where files contained the old oracle home as we did not go back and undo that.

hope this helps

cheers

Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <3B812478.336BE30A_at_webde-ag.de>, Uwe Schneider <us_at_webdeag. de> writes

--
Pete Finnigan
IT Security Consultant

Office  01565 830 990