Re: Oracle 9i screwing up Oracle 8i?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 20 Aug 2001 11:28:12 -0700

In article <3B812D5D.257D7EBE_at_informix.com>, Manas says...

>Hi,
> I installed Oracle 9i on my Sun Solaris machine to test my ODBC
>connection. Testing went through fine. I lateron deinstalled it and then
>installed Oracle 8i. Now my ODBC connection doesn't go through saying
>that the client unable to establish connection.
> The deinstallation of Oracle 9i went through without a hitch. Are
>there any files of Oracle 9i that need to be removed physically? Before
>installing Oracle 9i, Oracle 8i has worked fine on my machine.
>
>Thanks in advance
>-Manas

interesting email address ;)

Anyway -- 8i, 9i, 7.x, 8.0 they all coexist.

Your net8 listener must not be running, when you installed 9i, you probably let it take the default port (1521) and the net8 listener for your 8i instance stopped being able to start up.

log in as your oracle8i account and do:

$ lsnrctl status <listener name if you named it>

and see if your listener is running, if it is not, start it.

I've got 7.1, 7.3, 8.0, 8.1, 9.0 all running on the same solaris box, no conflicts