Re: Two questions

From: Leonard F Clark <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:18:36 GMT

Keith,

I've come in at the tail of the thread so please forgive me if my reply is not to the point.

I think, put simply, you are relying on no (or very little) activity on the database *during* the backup. If you are backing up ana ctive database and it doesn't take too long - and the redo logs are the last thing you back up - then, yes, I guess a recovery is like doing a recovery from a sort of hot backup: the database may have moved on from the point at which you backed up the first file, but you can redo those changes.

However, you have no guarantee of consistency. If enough activity occurs on the database, the redo log activity by the time you back the logs up my have gone right round the logs and over-written those that were active when you backed up the first files. If this is the case, you won't be able to roll forward on recovery and your stuck.

I presume you are confident that everyone (including batch activity) is off the database and you won't hit this scenario. Okay! But your job is to *guarantee* data consistency, if you're responsible for backups. Can you really do this hand on heart with "inconsistent backups". If you must keep the database active while backing up, for little additional effort you can do hot backups. But, okay, then you need to have archiving on.

If what you're doing works, no-one can argue with that. But you need to be sure it will always work - or, at least, always enough.

Len