Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Oracle 8.1.7 for Win2k: Problem during Database Configuration Assistant: ORA-03113: end of file on comm channel

Re: Oracle 8.1.7 for Win2k: Problem during Database Configuration Assistant: ORA-03113: end of file on comm channel

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 20:05:55 GMT

Claude Chaudron wrote:

> I am facing the same problem too. It happens in that case :
>
> I have a 8.1.6 running on a W2K server machine, which is a domain controller
> too and I did not have any difficulties to configure the database.
>
> I try to install a 8.1.7 on a W2K pro. This second machine is part of the
> domain and I am unable to create the database, who throws the ORA-03113 error.
> If I do NOT connect the machine to the domain, the configuration is OK. I have
> been passing a few hours to RTFM without reaching any solution to resolve it.
>
> The name of the second machine is : SERV-ORA, it is connectd to the GEO2000
> domain. The current user is SERV-ORA which is able to connect to GEO2000.
>
> The global name is DEVELOP1.GEO2000 so I have the two parameters db_name =
> "DEVELOP1" and db_domain = "GEO2000" well configured before I start the CREATE
> DATABASE. According to the doc, that point is necessary but sufficient, so
> what's wrong ?
>
> Did you encounter this problem using your server in a W2K domain ?
>
> My network support is not treating my problem as a dysfunction, so what ? DNS ?
>
> Any one's help welcome.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Claude.

Claude,

As is described in the platform-specific documentation, you should perform the software installation logged on locally with an account that is a member of the administrator group. The local group ORA_DBA will be created. When performing tasks such as database creation, you should be connected with an account that belongs to the local group ORA_DBA.

You can subsequently create a domain group ORA_DBA or ORA_%ORACLE_SID%_DBA and grant that group to your domain user account and be authenticated be the operating system also.

Do not attempt to install Oracle Server Binaries on a W2K domain controller, as local groups cannot be created.

hth,

Paul