Cloning a database

From: marko mikulicic <marko_at_seul.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 02:11:38 -0400

Hello,

I have Oracle 9i on linux glib2.2.2 kernel 2.4.3

I created a little (400MB) database with dbca with no templates and after hours of swapping (I have 512 RAM) and many failures (the installer did not copy the STANDARD package). Creation from templates was too big.
Somehow I managed to get it installed and now I don't want pass again all this. I want to test replication on a single host, just to learn how to do it, but I had not disk space to waste. Template creation doesn't allow to change the tablespace dimensions, so I thought that cloning that one with another name would do the job.

But wich files do I need to copy ? (I know how to setup net stuff) Is the databasename stored inside the database itself ?

I have a slow machine with much ram, but oracle can be a hog :-)

Thanks in advance Received on Sun Aug 19 2001 - 01:11:38 CDT