On Becoming an Oracle DBA

From: Dan Beaton <ag564_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 18 Aug 2001 13:51:09 GMT

I am considering a career change to become an Oracle DBA. I was a self-taught DBA a few years ago on Progress, and enjoyed it very much. I worked on SCO Unix and IBM AIX at the time, and am comfortable with OS issues.

I am looking at taking the various courses designed to prep you for taking the Oracle DBA challenge tests.

Does it make any difference if I take these at an Oracle certified training provider?

How much work beyond the courses is needed to pass the tests?

Can I expect to learn enough from the courses and working on my own to pass the tests, or do I need to be working on an Oracle database in order to gain the knowledge?

Thanks for your help.

Dan Received on Sat Aug 18 2001 - 08:51:09 CDT