Re: Help with UTL_TCP

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2001 05:31:51 -0700

In article <9lkq9b$edp$1_at_bob.news.rcn.net>, "bhogak" says...

>I wish to do FTP/ Telnet using UTL_TCP. Did anyone try this before? If so,
>can you pl. give me some examples.
>
>Thanks.
>bhogak

While technically possible, it would not be practical to do that. I've never implemented the FTP protocol but I have an inkling that it would take more then an afternoon.

If you have UTL_TCP -- you must have java installed in the database (as utl_tcp is java based - no java, no utl_tcp in 8i). My suggestion would be to use one of the many java classes available to you to do this instead. In that case, the code is already written for the most part.

See
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:255615160805

for an example of using some existing java to extend PLSQL in this manner -- in this case its using the Java mail api to enable the sending of email with attachements but the concept is the same.