Re: shutdown immediate or abort for cold-backup?

From: Leonard F Clark <lfc_at_zoom.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 11:39:19 GMT

I'm reluctant to get involved in what looks like becoming a minor flame war but I hope my comments may add value.

I thought it was standard practice (and is certainly advice from Oracle) to do the following for batch shutdowns:

  1. Shutdown abort
  2. Startup normal (probably best in restricted mode)
  3. Shutdown normal

  1. Although I have always been warned clear of shutdown aborts, I have never had any subsequent problems. In fact, if you think about it, a shutdown abort is no different from a shutdown immediate except that the rollback of active processes occurs on recovery (at startup) rather than as part of the shutdown process.
  2. by doing the three-step approach, the backup is taken after a normal shutdown and, therefore, should give clean results. If a problem *were* to result from the abort, by building enough checks into the script (return code and check for ORA- errors), you can abort the backup and raise warnings immediately.
  3. the one clear broblem in backing up an aborted shutdown is that, if you ever need to recover the database, you will always have to recover from the abort (which you have captured on tape). By clearing the recovery on step 2, you have a nice clean shutdown to recover from.

Len