Re: Backup and Restore of Oracle

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 06:02:06 GMT

newsgroups wrote:

> Howdy all,
> I am using 8.1.7 on NT 4.0 and a Compaq 7000 with raid 5. Currently I
> do a full export every night and backup the dump file as well as all of the
> archive logs. Every weekend I shutdown the database and do a cold backup of
> the entire system. What should I be doing or is this enough?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob W.

Hi Bob,

Provided that you have all of the archived redo logs for the entire week, you're fine.
Do you check the alert log to see that the database was shutdown cleanly?
I'm going to assume that the cold backup on the weekend is to tape. How long does it take for all files to be restored from tape to disk? Have you tested how long it would take for applying 1 week's worth of archived redo?
If you have space, you might consider backup up the db to disk first, and retain the backup set on disk after writing it to tape. As long as your recovery times are acceptable - your current scheme is enough.

If you need to shorten your recovery window, you might consider scheduling hot backups during the week. In this manner, you'd only have to retain (preferably on disk) and apply archived redo logs from the oldest datafile backed up during recovery.

hth,

Paul Received on Sat Aug 18 2001 - 01:02:06 CDT