Re: OS-Crash

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 07:46:21 -0700

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:<9lipif$d2m$1_at_ctb-nnrp1.saix.net>...

> Anyway, my reminisces about bad times aside.
>
> Lesson 1. Always, always make a backup when you upgrade the o/s or Oracle.
> Lesson 2. See lesson 1. ;-)

These rules should be placed on screen background of all DBA's computers. :-)

> Or you can take the Oracle NTFS disks and hook them up to another NT system and
> backup/recover the database that way.

My favourite option. I did that many times, not to recover Oracle, but ordinary workstations.

> Finally - you can also try an emergency boot with NT. If you do not have an
> emergency disk, you can create one by running the NT installer.

He can try to repair NT installation, but sometimes it doesn't help.

BTW: After some bad experiences with NTFS I can't believe this file system any more. I think that something bad is in this FS. I had a lot of strange (sometimes bizzare) problems with disks running NTFS. Problem is also that built-in disk checking utility is really bad. Friend of mine was asked why he has his documents on special FAT disk, his response was: "Because I like my data". I think that's a sensible answer. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader