Re: How to change the instance name

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 05:55:46 -0700

  1. Do an 'Alter database backup control file to trace'
  2. Shutdown immediate
  3. Take a Backup of your database.
  4. Move all your files and filenames to new locations and names if need be.
  5. Edit the backup control file trace file to do a Create control file reuse ...... ...... set database new_name Logfile group 1 '.....', group 2 '.....' datafiles 'datafile1_new_location', 'datafile2_new_location' ; Remove the 'Recover Database' statement. Remove the 'Alter System Archive Log all' statement. Make sure there is an 'Alter database open resetlogs;'
  6. Setup your new environment, i.e. .ora files.
  7. Set your ORACLE_SID to the new SID.
  8. Start the database in no mount
  9. Run the editted create control file. If it errors, most likely is a problem with datafile location or naming.

HTH,
Pete's