Re: OS-Crash

From: Rolf Czedzak <520040398192-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:18:30 +0200

Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: 9lipif$d2m$1_at_ctb-nnrp1.saix.net...
> "Rolf Czedzak" <520040398192-0001_at_t-online.de> wrote
>
> > after installing an OS-Patch the so called OS is no longer startable.
> > Can someone out there tell me about the procedure to save DB?
> > I'd gladly accept an RTF-FAQ, if You'd kindly point me to it; I couldn't
> > find an appropriate one.
> > 'OS' is NT 4, all neccessary DDL-Scripts are available.
>
> Same thing happened to me after an OS upgrade during which they somehow
trashed
> all our raw devices containing Oracle. Of course there was a backup done
before
> the upgrade attempt. Which was also corrupt. We under protest were forced
to use
> dd to backup. We told them that using dd was not a good idea. Oh well..
>
> Anyway, my reminisces about bad times aside.
>
> Lesson 1. Always, always make a backup when you upgrade the o/s or Oracle.
> Lesson 2. See lesson 1. ;-)

Well, thanks. But that's a lesson I learned earlier, although I (of course) learned it the hard
way. ;-)) I do have backup of the ORADATA directory (and files) on OS file level. I'm
afraid I wasn't specific about that -just mentioning easy access to all the DDL scripts to
point out that rebuilding of indeces, etc. would be no more than a batch job.
My question is how to tell mew installed ORACLE that the data files are 'legal',

[file recovery part deleted - sorry again, my fault]

> --
> Billy

Rolf Received on Fri Aug 17 2001 - 06:18:30 CDT