Re: How to query sys tables for self-joining tables/columns?

From: Randall J. Parr <RParr_at_TemporalArts.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:54:48 -0500

I am trying to discover which set of system tables and/or view (ala ALL_TAB_COLUMNS) would be best suited to discovering which tables contained a column which joined to another column in that same table.

I know how to create and use a column which joins to another column in the same table (ala EMP --> MANAGER). I am trying to find out how to dynamically discover the existence and definition of such columns in an existing database.

I am trying to find this information because my utilities which export (and import) the database to XML format files need to export files with "self-joins" topologically (aka heirarchically).

I have the topological / heirarchical export working fine but currently have to explicitly invoke it on tables which I know to contain self-joins. I want to automate the discovery and invocation of this by querying the database system tables.

R.Parr
Temporal Arts.