Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:24:55 +0800

On 15 Aug 2001 07:16:39 -0700, pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote:

>> Get a copy of Partition Magic. Now! ;-)
>
>Sad is that I've crashed that Linux with Partition Magic. :-) I really
>hate the four primary partition limit on PC. I needed another one for

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Oracle, so I had to convert Linux swap file to logical partition and
>Linux didn't survive this. I was not suprised. :-) I can repair it,
>but have no time. I want to meet that lazy man who invented a day with
>only 24 hours. :-)

Dusan,

If you really hate the four primary partition limit, you probably hate today's large HDD volume as well: 30G disks are way too big for any OS's. I am willing to share my exprerience with Bootstar 6.1 from Start-Tools here (www.start-tools.com), which supports up to 8 disks per computer, with up to 15 partitions per disk, no limits on number of OS's (more properly, boot profiles). For me I have installed 8 OS's with 2X30G disks, 19 partitions, and 49G used, I still have 11G available on the 2nd disk.

I have successfully installed:
Windows ME
Windows NT Server X 2
Windows 2K Server X 2

Linux RH 6.2
Linux RH 7.0
Linux RH 7.1

Bootstar is a tiny and nice multi-boot program, it doesn't have partitions re-sizing or moving as does Partition Magic, but I don't bother. Hope this helps.

Dino Received on Wed Aug 15 2001 - 11:24:55 CDT