Re: Defragment Oracle Database?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:38:06 +1000

Fragmentation is very easy to prevent in the first place (well, in 8i, anyway).

A good DBA will never need to defragment.

As to how to go about it if you ever need to... the quick and (not-so) dirty answer is to export the contents of a tablespace, drop everything, and re-import.

But (and please don't take this the wrong way) I would guess by your question that you really need to find out a bit more about how Oracle handles extent allocations, and what fragmentation actually is, before wondering about how often or how to do it.

Regards