Re: REPLICATING an OUTAGE - RFI

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:41:07 +0200

"Bryan Burns" <bburns_at_xo.com> wrote

> Aside from an incorrect record getting replicated, what are the
> worst case possiblities here ???

That depends if National Enquirer is going to publish that er.. hum... photos of you and that .. er.. thing. I still think its not an alien. Looks too much like a sheered sheep. Are you Australian perharps? ;-)

The problem with worse case scenarios is that you need to draw the line somewhere. What does it matter if you have a fully redundant systems, running 24x7, and someone drives a truck through your computer room wall?

> Could I somehow lose the whole database and replicate a blank database?

Unlikely. If you loose the database, it's gone. It can not recreate itself and start replicating without a human hand guiding it.

> Could a corruption get replicated, which somehow takes everything down?

Hmmm.. depends on what type of corruption you are talking about. Only committed data is replicated. If the app screws up, or you lack the correct integrity constraints and rules, yeah - then that screw up will be replicated. But that is a problem with database and app design. I can not see Oracle replicating "corruption" that causes the other instances to fall over.. unless you run into a very obscure Oracle bug. When that happens though, you should start playing the lotto.

> Being extremely pessimistic, what could go wrong...

Er.. you don't want to get me started again, do you?

> All input is greatly appreciated. I will be tracking all feedback and
> ensuring against the bad things it if at all possible...

Try installing Microsoft Prayer. It prays to the deity of your choice. Has a configurable prayer timer. Various skins and themes to choose from. You can even create custom prayers.. Yeah.. see... you got me going again.

I think you are taking it a bit too far. Stick to the basics of preventative maintenance and administration. That is the best you can do. Trying to conjure up worse case scenarios and trying to prevent that from happening, is like a dog chasing its own tail.

--
Billy